[Are you thinking about doing Immersion or TT but money is an issue? Please let us know–we can work with you. Email Emma directly at email@example.com.]
South Mountain Yoga offers two training programs: Immersion and Teacher Training. The SMY Immersion is for any student looking to delve more deeply into yoga. It is also a pre-requisite for entering the SMY Teacher Training program. The Immersion (45 contact hours), is part of the Teacher Training (a total of 200 contact hours, 45 of which are the Immersion program, 20 of which are homework hours). To find out more about each program, click below.
About the SMY Immersion
What’s an Immersion?
The SMY Yoga Immersion is 45-hour program designed to take you deeper into your yoga practice, exploring yoga history, philosophy, and anatomy in an intensive format that allows you to truly steep in the teachings. It is organized so that you can fit it into your busy schedule–the program consists of five weekends over four months, starting in September 2017 at SMY. Registration closes 9/15/2017–you must make payment (or in the case of payment plan, your first payment) by that date.
Who can participate?
Anyone who loves yoga, has some experience with it (at least ten classes), and wants to know more! We suggest that you prepare by keeping a regular practice of one or two classes a week in the months leading up to the Immersion.
The Immersion is a pre-requisite to the SMY Teacher Training Program, but it is open to the public–there’s no obligation to continue on to Teacher Training when you’re done.
What’s on the menu? (What are we gonna be doing?)
Sessions alternate between more up-tempo periods of asana practice and more contemplative periods of group discussion, meditation, and pranayama. Specifically, we’ll be exploring the following:
Asana: Refinement all the poses on SMY’s Basic Syllabus and fuller exploration of poses on the Intermediate Syllabus
Anatomy: Important bones, bony landmarks, and muscles; energetic anatomy like cakras and nadis
Biomechanics: Evolutionary foundations of biomechanical alignment, how to practice it in yoga poses and take it off your mat
Yoga History: Where does yoga come from? Who invented it? How did it evolve over time?
Yoga Philosophy: The major ideas that have evolved over the history of yoga and how they might apply to your life as a modern Hatha yogi.
What am I gonna get out of it?
You’ll leave the Immersion with:
- greater ease and delight in your body
- new insights into your place in the world, your relationships, and your life’s journey
- a fuller understanding of yoga’s history, philosophy, and diversity
- new friends who share your interests and support your growth
When is it happening?
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN. REGISTRATION CLOSES ON 9/15. YOU MUST MAKE YOUR FIRST PAYMENT BY THAT DATE.
Weekend 1: September 22-24, 2017
Weekend 2: October 13-15, 2017
Weekend 3: November 3-5, 2017
Weekend 4: December 1-3, 2017
Weekend 5: January 5-7, 2018
Fridays 6:30 – 9:00 (2.5 hours)
Saturdays 2:00 – 5:15 (3.25 hours)
Sundays 2:00 – 5:15 (3.25 hours)
Each weekend totals 9 hours.
Can I do the Immersion now and decide later if I want to do Teacher Training?
Yes! In fact, that’s what many people do. Just bear in mind that if you decide later, you will not receive the Earlybird discount if/when you finally sign up for Teacher Training.
Note that this pricing is for the Immersion only–scroll down for pricing on Teacher Training.
Early Bird Rate: $799
Regular Rate: $899
Payment Plan: $239/mo
|Paid in full by 8/15/2017|
|Paid in full by 9/15/2017|
|...over 4 months. 1st payment by 9/15/2017
SMY Teacher Training Program consists of two parts…
- A 45-hour Yoga Immersion to drench you in yoga practice, biomechanics, anatomy, and history (Only interested in the Immersion? Check it out here.)
- A further 15 weekends of study purely focussed on learning how to teach
The entire program (Immersion and Teacher Training) consists of 20 weekends (9 hours each weekend) spread over 13 months, starting in January 2018. Dates and hours are below.
Note the Program Pre-Requisite: you must complete at least ten public yoga classes with lead Teacher Trainer Emma Magenta before the program starts. In this way you get to know her and she gets to know you before training.
Wondering how to choose a Teacher Training Program? Check out Emma’s “admittedly-biased” guide to getting the Teacher Training Program you want.
Learn how to…
- Teach yoga: share what you love in a way that allows others to discover the joy of yoga
- Cultivate and occupy sacred space: Create an environment that is physically and energetically conducive to transformation, and learn how to navigate that environment in a way that supports your teaching
- Take the seat of the teacher: Cultivate confidence and authenticity in your teaching
- Plan sequences: Plan class sequences for a variety of levels and types of classes (including pre/post natal and restorative), take a deeper look at the South Mountain Yoga syllabi
- Alter your classes to serve pre- and post-natal students
- Instruct according to healthy biomechanical alignment principles: Learn the human evolutionary history that informs how we move, and techniques for how to honor our evolutionary inheritance in poses
- Set a context for your class: Conceive, develop and skillfully deliver themes that inspire your students
- Introduce pranayama and meditation: Round out your students’ experience
- See as a yoga teacher sees: observe common misalignments and triage what must be adjusted
- Make adjustments: Physical & verbal enhancements to poses
- Assist a yoga class: Shadowing and full assisting
- Properly pronounce pose names: Understand the names of poses and what they reveal
- Understand yoga history: know the facts about yoga’s origins and share it with your classes in a way that is meaningful
- Gain literacy in yoga texts: know the key texts and philosophies in yoga history
- Take the next step: Get a job, know your rights as an employee
SMY’s Immersion and Teacher Training programs are led by SMY Director Emma Magenta along with members of our teaching staff you may already know from weekly classes. SMY also welcomes two additional teachers to our faculty:
- Marcy Braverman, Ph.D. of Sanskrit Revolution
- Jennifer Pettit of ChandraKala Yoga, prenatal yoga expert
- 180 contact hours of teacher training over 18 weekends
- 4 additional small group mentoring sessions with the seasoned teachers of SMY
- UNLIMITED FREE CLASSES AT SMY for the duration of Teacher Training (but not during Immersion). This is a value of almost $1000!
- The SMY Curriculum
- The SMY Teacher Training Manual
Program Pre-Requisite: you must complete at least ten public yoga classes with lead Teacher Trainer Emma Magenta before the program starts. In this way you get to know her, and she gets to know you, before training.
Here’s a short summary of the program requirements to receive your SMY teaching Certificate, and thus apply for RYT status from Yoga Alliance:
- Complete the SMY Immersion (the Immersion is part of the TT)
- Participate in at least 16 weekends (or equivalent) of training and 4 mentoring sessions
- Participation in at least two public yoga classes per week
- Cultivate a home yoga practice
- Complete all homework and final exam
- Complete additional hours of Observation, Assisting, and Community Class teaching
List of texts TBA.
Dates and hours of small group mentoring sessions to be determined during first weekend together.
- Check out pricing below.
- Fill out the Teacher Training Application.
- Once we’ve notified you of your acceptance into the program, go ahead and purchase your training below. Note that texts are not included in tuition cost.
Teacher Training + Immersion Pricing
You’ve thought it over, and you know you’re ready for Teacher Training! Use the pricing below to sign up for Immersion + Teacher Training.
Early Bird Rate: $3300
Regular Rate: $3500
Payment Plan: $230/mo
|Payment due by 8/15/17|
|Payment due by 9/15/2017|
|for 16 months. First payment due 9/14/2017
Teacher Training ONLY Pricing
You’ve already purchased and completed your Immersion, so you just need to pay for Teacher Training ONLY.
Regular Rate: $2600
Payment Plan: $230/mo
|Paid in full by 1/19/18|
|...over 12 months, first payment by 1/19/18