SMY Teacher Training Program consists of two parts…
- A 45-hour Yoga Immersion to drench you in yoga practice, biomechanics, anatomy, and history (Only interested in the Immersion? Check it out here.)
- A further 14 weekends of study purely focussed on learning how to teach. The entire program (Immersion and Teacher Training) consists of 19 weekends (9 hours each weekend). If you want to notified about when our next cycle of YTT starts, email firstname.lastname@example.org and introduce yourself–we’d love to hear about your yoga journey!
Note the YTT Pre-Requisite: you must complete the South Mountain Yoga Immersion before Teacher Training.
South Mountain Yoga’s Yoga Teacher Training program is registered with Yoga Alliance, the largest national trade association for yoga teachers. This means that graduates of our TT are eligible to apply to Yoga Alliance for an RYT (Registered Yoga Teacher) designation. Yoga Alliance requires 200-hour Yoga Teacher Trainings to include 180 contact hours.
- SMY YTT total hours: 200
- 180 of those hours are contact hours.
- The remaining 20 hours are homework hours. (May be more than 20 depending on how fast you work or read!)
- Approximately 30 of those 180 contact hours are with Mentors or guest teachers
- Therefore around 150 of the contact hours are with the Lead Trainer (far exceeding the Yoga Alliance requirement of 65 hours with the Lead Trainer)
- Yoga Alliance does not require an Immersion, but of those 180 contact hours, 45 of them are the Immersion, where you are learning about YOGA, rather than learning how to TEACH yoga.
Wondering how to choose a Teacher Training Program? Check out Emma’s “admittedly-biased” guide to getting the Teacher Training Program you want.
Learn how to…
- Teach yoga: share what you love in a way that allows others to discover the joy of yoga
- Cultivate and occupy sacred space: Create an environment that is physically and energetically conducive to transformation, and learn how to navigate that environment in a way that supports your teaching
- Take the seat of the teacher: Cultivate confidence and authenticity in your teaching
- Plan sequences: Plan class sequences for a variety of levels and types of classes (including pre/post natal and restorative), take a deeper look at the South Mountain Yoga syllabi
- Alter your classes to serve pre- and post-natal students
- Instruct according to healthy biomechanical alignment principles: Learn the human evolutionary history that informs how we move, and techniques for how to honor our evolutionary inheritance in poses
- Set a context for your class: Conceive, develop and skillfully deliver themes that inspire your students
- Introduce pranayama and meditation: Round out your students’ experience
- See as a yoga teacher sees: observe common misalignments and triage what must be adjusted
- Make adjustments: Physical & verbal enhancements to poses
- Properly pronounce pose names: Understand the names of poses and what they reveal
- Understand yoga history: know the facts about yoga’s origins and share it with your classes in a way that is meaningful
- Gain literacy in yoga texts: know the key texts and philosophies in yoga history
- Take the next step: Get a job, know your rights as an employee
SMY’s Immersion and Teacher Training programs are led by SMY Director Emma Magenta along with members of our teaching staff you may already know from weekly classes.
Check back soon for more information!
- 172 contact hours of group teacher training over 19 weekends (and one final exam review)
- 8 additional contact hours in 4 small group mentoring sessions with the seasoned teachers of SMY
- UNLIMITED FREE CLASSES AT SMY for the duration of Teacher Training (but not during Immersion). This is a value of almost $1000!
- The SMY Curriculum
- The SMY Teacher Training Manual
Program Pre-Requisite: The prerequisite for the South Mountain Yoga Teacher Training is the SMY Immersion (see here for more info).
Here’s a short summary of the program requirements to receive your SMY teaching Certificate, and thus apply for RYT status from Yoga Alliance:
- Complete the SMY Immersion (the Immersion is part of the TT)
- Participate in at least 16 weekends (or equivalent) of training and 4 mentoring sessions
- Participation in at least two public yoga classes per week
- Cultivate a home yoga practice
- Complete all homework and final exam
- Complete additional hours of Observation, Assisting, and Community Class teaching
TO BE ANNOUNCED
Dates and hours of small group mentoring sessions to be determined during first weekend together.
REGISTRATION IS CURRENTLY CLOSED BUT WILL OPEN SOON!
If you want to notified about when our next cycle of YTT starts, email email@example.com and introduce yourself–we’d love to hear about your yoga journey
[Remember–you must complete the Immersion before you start TT, and Registration for the next Immersion CLOSES September 9, 2019. Details on it are here.]
Fridays 6:30 – 9:00 pm (2.5 hours)
Saturdays 2:00 – 5:15 pm (3.25 hours)
Sundays 2:00 – 5:15 pm (3.25 hours)
REGISTRATION IS CLOSED FOR OUR CURRENT CYCLE OF YTT.
If you want to notified about when our next cycle of YTT starts, email firstname.lastname@example.org and introduce yourself–we’d love to hear about your yoga journey!
You might also consider looking over our YTT application, below.
Teacher Training + Immersion Pricing
TO BE ANNOUNCED
Teacher Training ONLY Pricing
TO BE ANNOUNCED